Thursday, August 10, 2006

Ravenna Renovation, Part 1

This will be just a quick post while remodeling is going on.

My front stairs are torn out and the cement is being repoured now.

I have every door in the top floor off its hinges. One is sanded down, and stained, seven to go. I bought a new front door, and have stained it. In all, nine newly finished doors will greet the new owner.

Deck painting, some new oak flooring, touch-up paint, landscaping, sod, a new oven, and staging are next. Got to go. The floor contractor is here.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, October 05, 2006 11:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you remove any wallpaper during your remodel? I have an older house with lots of wall paper, and I am tempted to paint over it. Maybe the silent paint remover would work?

 
At Thursday, October 05, 2006 9:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found that the best way to remove wallpaper quickly is to use the good old household iron. I found one at the goodwill for cheap. I use a large hand towel and get a bucket of water. Soak the towel and ring it out slightly, then apply the iron and the wallpaper steams right off of the wall in huge chucks. :-)

 
At Friday, October 06, 2006 2:37:00 AM, Blogger Monte Hayward said...

I don't know whether the silent paint remover works on wallpaper.

I removed flowery "country kitchen" wallpaper and borders that did not suit the craftsman house. There is a roller-with-needles called a Paper Tiger that can score it. Then I use a solution of TSP (trisodium phosphate) and hot water in a spray bottle. I let the spray penetrate for a few minutes, then steam and peel. I usually start peeling from the bottom, and put the steamer head under the peeled-off flap, and work my way up. Then, glue residue comes off with TSP spray and a rubber squeegee. The challenge is not to damage the plaster or drywall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home