Saturday, April 14, 2007

Glad He Relocated

I sat down to lunch with "Sam", who moved from New York City to Austin a few years ago, and is happy with his relocation. Sam is an easygoing guy who greets people with a smile and a tap on the shoulder. He keeps an electronic picture frame on his desk, with revolving pictures of his family.

Monte: What were some of the milestones that you passed in getting established in your new town of Austin?

Sam: I was flying back and forth a lot between Austin and New York, managing a sales territory for a New York company. I had one foot in both places -- two apartments and all. A turning point for me was during one stint in New York, when I found myself thinking, "I wish I were back in Austin." When I was in New York, I would hear coworkers say, "I can't believe you are moving there." They held a lot of stereotypes about Texas. I asked one guy what the basis of his opinions, and it was a trip he'd made 20 years ago -- to Houston! I found myself defending Austin, and then I knew I had developed an attachment to the town.

Breaking up with my girlfriend in New York was a big step toward settling here. Before that happened, I couldn't date here, and you see so many attractive women.

Monte: Yeah, you have to train yourself, like swatting a dog with a newspaper. "No!"

Sam: [Laughs.] I lucked out, in that I met another single guy my age. He was relatively new in town, and we just explored the social scene together. I did not buy a house here until later, when I got married.

Monte: So your turning points were more emotional than logistical?

Sam: Yes. I traveled here for my New York job, so I had work, health care, and lots of local contacts. I was not facing the same situations as you. Right away, I found a really great apartment downtown, and I just loved it there. The rent was a little over half what I paid in New York, and I loved the neighborhood. I met a young, vibrant and urbane crowd right away. You are going to feel a lot better when you change neighborhoods.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Saturday, April 14, 2007 9:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting interview, Monte, yes, relocating to a foreign environment sometimes requires other people to help you get settled in, and push towards success..

 
At Monday, April 16, 2007 10:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture below represents the good bbq eatin' in Texas!

 
At Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Monte, how's Austin treating you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home